Scanning comparison: writing to disk vs. reading from disk
The on-access scanner performs scans differently, depending on whether the user is writing to disk or reading from disk.
When files are being written to disk, the on-access scanner scans these items:
- Incoming files being written to the local hard drive.
- Files being created on the local hard drive or a mapped network drive (this includes new files, modified files, or files being copied or moved from one drive to another).
Note: To scan mapped network drives, you must enable the On Network Drives option. Refer to Enabling on-network drives.
When files are being read from disk, the on-access scanner scans these items:
- Outgoing files being read from the local hard drive or mapped network drives.
Note: To scan mapped network drives, select the On network drives option, described in the previous bullets, to include remote network files.
- Any file attempting to execute a process on the local hard drive.
- Any file opened on the local hard drive.
- Any file being renamed on the local hard drive, if the file properties have changed.